Scientists developed a strain of Salmonella that fights aggressive brain cancers which produced a remarkable 20% rate of tumor remission in a rat model, where there are normally no survivors. The bacteria were genetically equipped with a sophisticated tumor-homing mechanism along with cancer fighting weapons, causing the tumors to effectively self-destruct. Read more
Scientists developed a novel approach for genetically reprogramming cells that prolonged the life of mice by 30%, without causing them to develop tumors for the first time. Could this achievement mark another milestone on our path of ultimately reversing the process of ageing? Read more
Cancer is a group of diseases involving abnormal cell growth with the potential to invade or spread to other parts of the body. There are some forms of cancer which can be cured relatively well with known and established drugs and surgery. However, not all forms of cancer response to these approaches.
This is no novel idea, but after 17 years of a spirited debated, pharmaceutical companies are finally taking note. It was Dr. Mary Hendrix and her team out of the University of Iowa Cancer center in Iowa City who first reported in 1999 that human melanoma tumor cells were capable of forming perfusable vessel-like networks through a process called vasculogenic mimicry (VM). Read more
A leader in genetic sequencing is betting that it can detect cancer at its earliest stages on the basis of minuscule amounts of genetic material circulating in a person’s bloodstream. But specialists warn that there are many technical hurdles to such an application. Read more
Pigeons are many things to many people – navigators, couriers, rats with wings – but the word “doctors” rarely comes to mind. Read more
Innovative approach – Enhancing the effect of a vaccine therapy to improve patient survival.
- Which single-cell RNA sequencing data analysis tool to choose in 2022?August 17, 2022 - 8:46 am
- Best Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN) Review for Your Lab in 2021May 26, 2021 - 8:00 am
- The Next Generation Of Antivenom Production Holds Many Possibilities For The FutureMarch 17, 2021 - 8:19 am
- Connected Laboratory & the Role of IoT in ScienceFebruary 4, 2020 - 4:02 pm
- The Importance of Better Digital Data Management in Laboratories and The FAIR FutureFebruary 4, 2020 - 3:06 pm